Before arriving in New Zealand –
· Include a rest day on arrival to ensure body and mind are well rested before you take on the road.
· All drivers should have international permits and in English.
· Drive for no more than 2 hours in one stretch, take rests and swap drivers.
· Stopping for breaks won’t be a problem, New Zealand is beautiful, and you will want to take it all in, take photos and make memories.
· New Zealand roads are windy, it takes longer than anticipated to reach your destination so plan accordingly.
Road Rules –
· Seatbelts should always be worn. Children should be in child seats.
· Left, always keep LEFT. We drive on the left-hand side of the road.
· Obey road signs, maintain speed limit, give way and STOP at stop signs.
· Drive to road and weather conditions.
· Do not drink or use drugs whilst driving, heavy penalties are enforced by police.
· No use of cellphone to text or call when the car is in motion or still.
· Drive at a safe distance and avoid sudden braking.
Before starting your day drive –
Check weather forecast and road status here.
· Be prepared for snow, rain and rough weather, carry chains when necessary.
· Ensure cell phones are charged – Emergency Services can be reached by dialing 111.